20 things about The Bargain Sleuth
We’ve gotten a lot of new readers this past month on Facebook, Twitter and our daily email. Thank you so much for spreading the word! Because of all these new readers who have not been with me from the beginning, I thought I’d tell you a little bit about who I am and why I am here. A little more in-depth than the About Me section. Some of these things could be surprises to long-time readers, too.
- I was born and raised in Green Bay, the youngest of seven kids. Graduated from Southwest High.
- I spent years loathing Green Bay and wanted to get the heck out. Now I embrace it. It’s where I’m from, it’s who I am, and I’m proud of it.
- I lived in the Town of Green Bay for several years. I still miss that gorgeous house and land in Damn Near Dykesville every day; kitchen to die for!
- I have one leg that is two inches shorter than the other. ?!
- I met my husband when I was 17 and he was… a lot older than that. And he wanted nothing to do with me for a long time (smart man!)
- I suffered from infertility for years. Now I have four kids ages 2 – 8. ?!!!
- When naming my kids, I did my best not to “Jennifer” them yet not get too weird. I think I did all right cuz everyone tells me what beautiful names I picked out!
- I never met a pizza I didn’t like.
- I flunked out of UW-Oshkosh after my freshman year.
- I didn’t finish my college degrees (double major: Business and Marketing) until I was 35 and after several attempts. It’s never too late to go back (yet soooo much easier to do when you don’t have kids–trust me on this one!).
- I’ve obviously failed at things. But I’ve succeeded at many, too.
- I always say you either have to laugh or cry and I almost always choose laughter.
- Some of my role models growing up were Nancy Drew, Laura Holt, Nellie Bly, and Erin Davisson. Detectives and journalists. Inspiration for the name The Bargain Sleuth and inspiration for what I do here. Sleuthing to find the best deals and writing about them.
- At one point in my life, I went through a spendthrift phase. Luckily it did not last.
- I am a voracious reader. Yes, book nerd. Mysteries and History are my favorites.
- When I get interested in a topic, I research it to death so I haven’t missed a thing.
- I have a very large Christmas music selection. I start playing Christmas music the day after Halloween, slowly mixing it in. After Thanksgiving, it’s all Christmas Music, All the Time.
- Some of the places I’ve worked in my life: Bay Park Square Cinema (when it was still inside the mall), Green Bay Press Gazette, WQLH (Star 98) , WMGV-Oshkosh, The Attic Books and Coffee, Brown County Library, WFRV-TV (3 times!).
- Some of my favorite TV shows of all time include: Stargate SG-1, Firefly, The Monkees, Remington Steele, Castle, Smallville, The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, and Little House on the Prairie. Yes, very broad interests!
- I spent years trying to figure out how to use my “gifts” to help others. Now here I am. And hopefully I am helping others by doing this.
Thanks so much for becoming a reader of Green Bay Consumer and continuing to tell others about this resource for people in Northeastern Wisconsin. It is truly appreciated and does not go unnoticed.