Taking out the Trash: Green Bay Consumer turns one!
Time for another edition of Taking out the Trash, the semi-regular posts that may or may not have to do with saving money and consumer advice. I have a lot on my mind so I’m cleaning out the “garbage” in my head by Taking out the Trash.
Earlier this week, Green Bay Consumer officially turned one! For those of you who don’t know the whole story, it goes something like this:
- After boring friends on Facebook with tales of all my Thrift Store Karma experiences, several friends suggested I start a Facebook page. I had looked and looked and only found one Green Bay-based site (the now “retired” GB Savers). So The Bargain Sleuth Facebook page launched in April 2010 and added a personal blog with the same name.
- Besides finding and sharing deals, I’ve always been a big believer of Paying It Forward and supporting many local charitable organizations. I’ve always considered my “blogging” more of a philanthropic pursuit than trying to try and make a ton of money doing it.
- My search for Green Mill Pizza coupons led Jon and Jason of Milwaukee Consumer to find my blog. They asked me if I would be interested in doing the same thing I already had been, but as part of the Wisconsin Consumer network of websites. The site would be called Green Bay Consumer. I agreed!
- Green Bay Consumer launched April 21, 2011!
- My personal goal for the site’s first year was to regain the Facebook fan numbers I had from my first page–about 540. Not only did we surpass that number (in July), we’ve crushed it!
- Most of our readers find out about Green Bay Consumer from other readers. So thank you for continuing to spread the word about this local resource!
When the Green Bay Mayor stops by the Facebook page to thank us for promoting a city financial planning event, when a local grocery store shares one of our articles on their Facebook pages, when legitimate institutions like libraries and banks look to Green Bay Consumer as a consumer advocate, I’m sorry, but that’s good stuff! This has become so much more than a “Mommy blog.” I’m proud and yes, humbled by it, too. To me, it’s the validation that we’re doing something right!
- A special thank you to Jon and Jason for putting up with me! They are the ones who have to hold me back when I’m ready to jump off the deep end!
- A GINORMOUS thank you to my Wingman, Stephanie, who also helps keep me sane by helping with Aldis and Fleet Farm and posting stuff on Facebook when I’m not actually around.
- Also, a big thank you to all the other wonderful bloggers I’ve gotten to know since I dipped my toe into this crazy world: my soul sisters Rose, Jill, Shelly, Karen, Sarah, Becca, the list of wonderful like-minded people goes on and on. It’s true, you really can’t learn all this stuff by yourself, and luckily I found great people who believe we should all be helping each other and not tearing each other down.
- And of course, to you, the readers of Green Bay Consumer. To thank all of you wonderful readers for the continued support, we’re going to be celebrating during the entire month of May. With giveaways. An entire month of giveaways! (Talk about jumping off the deep end, huh?)
- My personal goals for Green Bay Consumer’s next year have not been fully made, but I do think that it would be really cool if we topped 2000 Facebook fans by the end of all those giveaways, don’t you think?
- Again, my heartfelt thanks for reading and continuing to support Green Bay Consumer by clicking affiliate links, telling others about the site, and more!
I’m off for my weekly Digital Detox–I better get plenty of rest cuz next week we are gonna get the party started!
Have a good weekend everyone.