Free Lunch in the Park for Green Bay kids June 13 – August 17
Did you know your kids can get a free lunch as part of the Green Bay Schools and city of Green Bay Parks Department “Lunch in the Park” program? Free lunches are offered at area parks (and at Central and Southwest Branch Libraries) Monday-Friday June 13th through August 17th. Adults can purchase lunches for $2.00. Also, you must stay on-site to eat your meal.
The Green Bay Public Schools Food Service Department, in conjunction with the Green Bay Park and Recreation Department, the Brown County Library and the Boys and Girls Clubs of Green Bay offers these free meals through the Federally-Funded Summer Food Program. When I first heard of the program, I thought it was for low-income families, but that’s not the case. The director of the program told me it’s for anyone age 18 and under. It’s all in an effort to teach kids good physical and social development as well as offer a nutritious meal through the summer months.
For a complete list of places and times lunch is being served and for more information on the program, you can check out the City of Green Bay website.
Besides the parks and libraries, free lunches will also be provided at the following:
- City Track & Field Event at West High School, June 21st; lunch at Fisk Park.
- Go Skateboarding Day at Joannes Skatepark, June 21st; pizza meal at 2:00 p.m.
- Kid’s Day June 25th: City Deck with snack and beverage for children under age 18 at 8:15 prior to the Fun Run then 11:30 at Leicht Park with lunch.
- Wildlife Sanctuary Day on June 28th with lunch at Noon. (Program for children from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.).
- Games day at Fisk Park on July 11th.
- City Wide Sports Tournament Day at Colburn Park on July 19th.
- Get Active and Move Smart in collaboration with De Pere Park and Recreation, at Legion Park, De Pere on July 25th at 12:30 for lunch.
- Kiddie Karnival Parade at Joannes Park with lunch at 12:00 and snack at 2:00 p.m. on August 13th (all other parks are closed this date).
- Kiddie Karnival at Leicht Park on August 14th at 4:00 p.m. (hamburger meal) (lunches not served in the parks this date).