40 years, 40 pounds update!
Last month in Taking Out the Trash, I told you guys that I was going to try and lose 40 pounds. I wanted all of you to know because I wanted to hold myself accountable! I didn’t list a time frame for the weight loss because I want to do this the healthy way and not the quick way, you know?
I’ve lost five pounds in a month. I know, whoopie. Not a lot, I know. Baby steps.
I’ve done the following things:
- Given up fast food/going out for Lent. I frequently earn gift cards through My Points or Swagbucks to places like Chilis, Subway, Red Robin and more. Because of that, it was getting too easy to take the family out to eat as a “treat”, then order something completely unhealthy! I’m proud to say that a few weeks before Lent started, we went to Chili’s and I had the self-control to order from their low-calorie menu.
- Gotten up on the exercise bike for at least 10 minutes a day. I know that’s not a lot, but my bad hips have to work up to longer stretches. Again, baby steps.
- Stopped buying convenience foods to pull out of the freezer when I don’t feel like cooking.
- Gone to bed early. Studies show that people who are overtired have a tendency to eat more.
- Bought more fresh fruits and vegetables to snack on instead of pantry staples like chips, pretzels, crackers etc.
- Walked away from the computer more often. It’s just not healthy to sit that much!
- Looked to friends for inspiration and support! One of my classmates is in Barcelona as we speak, waiting to run in their half marathon. Other friends are mentioning their weight loss goals, their trials and tribulations. It’s nice to have others who are “watching my back” and are trying to live a healthier lifestyle like me.
I did one other thing that may seem backwards as I try to lose weight: I got my wedding ring re-sized. You see, I hadn’t been able to wear it for a long time because of the added weight (and a bent prong). And I really wanted to wear it again! It may seem counterproductive, but wearing my wedding band is motivation for me! WHEN I lose the extra weight and have kept it off for a while, I will gladly spend the money to make the ring smaller again!