Here’s how: Buy a $20.00 gift certificate and receive another $20.00 gift certificate for $10.00
Limit one gift certificate purchase per customer. Not valid on the day you purchase.
To see the specials they are running for Cinco de Mayo or for more information, click here.
I used to think giving gift certificates was a cop-out. Until I got a lot older and wiser and realized that a carefully chosen gift card can be more thoughtful as a poorly-thought out gift of a singing trout (sorry–family joke crept in here).
This time of year, many retailers have gift card bonus buys. Which means you can get a reward for your purchase. Sometimes it’s a meal, or sometimes an extra gift card is issued. It is important to note that there might be an expiration date on the bonus gift card so make sure you are aware of it when you make your purchase.
Here’s a list of some national and local places that will give you a bonus when you buy gift cards. When it comes to national or chain-store deals, results may vary (meaning they may or may not offer the deal listed). I suggest calling ahead to make sure since I did not have the time to call every place listed.
- Applebee’s — Purchase $50 in gift cards, get a $10 bonus card (order in-store only)
- Bucca di Beppo Bonus Gift Card Offer – Purchase $50 worth of Gift Cards, Receive a $10 Reward Card. (Reward card valid beginning 1/1/13)
- Buffalo Wild Wings Purchase a $25 gift card, get a Blazin’ Bonus (promotion ends 12/19/12, not valid in NY, FL or Canada)
- Children’s Place Bonus Gift Card – Purchase $40 worth of eGift Cards, Receive a $10 Bonus eGift Card.
- Chuck E Cheese Free holiday stockings with in-store gift card purchases of $30 or more
- Culver’s — Get a free value basket for every $25 in gift cards you buy
- Dairy Queen – Purchase $15 worth of Gift Cards, Receive a Free 12 oz Premium Fruit Smoothie
- Denny’s Purchase a gift card of $25 or more, you will automatically receive a $5 Denny’s bonus card. *$10.00 minimum purchase. A $1.95 shipping and handling fee is applied to each order. Please call 800-733-6697 and ask for the Gift Card Administrator.
- Fajita Republic: Buy a $40 gift card and get another one for $10 free!
- Half Price Books (Appleton)— get a $5 coupon with each $25 gift card you purchase
- Happy Joes: Buy $30 gift card, get $5 for you.
- HuHot Mongolian Grill: For every $100 you spend on HuHot gift cards this holiday season, get a $20 bonus card.
- Marcus Movie Theaters: Now get $5 in Snack Cash for every $25 gift card purchase!
- McDonald’s free McCafe beverage with any gift card purchase of $10 or more
- Melting Pot of Appleton: purchase $100 in gift cards and receive a $20 gift coupon for The Melting Pot of Appleton. Gift coupon valid January 1 to March 31. Or stop in for $100 in gift cards on Saturdays or Sundays and select from either the $20 gift coupon or enjoy a free lunch (thanks Becky!)
- Olive Garden Now through December 31, for every $25 or more in Gift Cards in a single transaction, get a $5 bonus coupon.
- Outback Steakhouse (Appleton)— Buy $100 worth of gift cards, get a $20 bonus gift card
- Pullmans (Appleton): $25 gift card, get a $5 bonus gift card
- Red Lobster Purchase a $25 gift card, receive a bonus $5 off coupon
- Red Robin: Buy $25 – $45 gift card and get a $5 bonus card
- Taco Bell Bonus Gift Card Offer – Purchase $20 worth of Gift Cards, Receive a Free item valued at up to $5.
- TGI Friday’s (Appleton) — Spend $25 on gift cards, get a $5 bonus card
- Tilted Kilt: Buy a $25 Gift Card Receive $5 Kilt Kash; Buy a $50 Gift Card Receive $10 Kilt Kash + TK calendar
- Tony Roma’s bonus Gift Card Offer – Purchase $100 worth of Gift Cards, Receive a $10 Bonus Promotional Gift Card.
- Tucson’s: Starting December 10th-16th….Buy $50 worth of Tucson’s gift cards and you will receive a $10 gift card free!! But…you have to say “Spice Me Up!!”
- Tundra Lodge: buy $100 gift card, get 2 free all day waterpark passes free
- Uno Chicago Grill — Buy a $25 gift card, get a $5 bonus voucher
- Wendy’s Purchase a $1.99 Children’s Meal, Receive a $10/$75+ Toys R Us Coupon
If you know of any other bonus deals in the Green Bay area, please feel free to contact us and I’ll update the list.
Thanks to Coupons Deals and More for some of the National Chain information
It’s time to revisit some of my favorite websites that earn you rewards like gift cards and cold hard cash. Many moons ago, I saw a news report that mentioned a website where you could earn points for gift cards called My Points. I checked it out and found it was a match made in heaven. I have earned 566,583 points since 2001. That’s a LOT of gift cards!
There are many ways to earn MyPoints:
- Reading email. Most emails will earn you 5 points if you click to visit the website mentioned.
- Shopping. By starting at the MyPoints site, you can earn between 1 and 20 points per dollar spent depending upon the retailer selected.
- Playing Games. The site will match your first $20 deposit and you can earn 50 points PLUS 5 points per dollar spent. Games can be played for as little as FREE (daily Free Play) or 75 cents and not only can you actually win cash, you can earn points with the game website which is run by World Winner. That’s right–you can earn rewards not only for My Points by playing online games, you can earn rewards for World Winner, too.
Gotta love double dipping!
- Downloading the Toolbar which will net you 100 points. You can also activate the Point Finder. You’ll get a notification on the toolbar if you go to a site where you could be earning MyPoints.
- Searching the Web can earn you a maximum of 75 points per month
- Registrations at other partner websites or Subscriptions to things like book clubs
- Taking surveys or completing short questionnaires
- Bzz Agent rewards come in the form of My Points (more about Bzz agent in the next few weeks)
- and more.
After registering and filling out the necessary demographic information, you choose how much communication you want from My Points. Obviously the more open you are, the more contact you’ll get from them.
You’ll begin to get emails. You earn 5 points per email if you visit the site mentioned. That’s all I did for almost a year and you think it wouldn’t add up but it did; I was able to redeem my accumulated points for a couple of $25 gift certificates (Target and Amazon.com, of course!)
I don’t use My Points as much as I used to., but I still find this earning website a valuable resource to earn rewards for things I am already doing.
If you’ve got kids in school or attend church, you’ve probably heard of SCRIP (Substitute Cash–Redeem In Person). It’s an easy way for non-profit groups to raise funds by selling gift cards. For each gift card sold, the non-profit will receive a percentage of the face value of the card back from the SCRIP clearinghouse. Depending upon the retailer, schools can earn as little as 1/2% to as much as 25% of the gift card value (the norm is usually in the 2-5% range, though).
One of the things I found out when I started buying SCRIP is that it’s a great way to budget! When I did the Super Saver Mom story for Channel 5 back in 2009, you can see me with gift cards at the checkout. I had $150 in SCRIP gift cards to Festival Foods and even mentioned the total for that huge trip was going to be pretty close to my monthly limit.
Some of my favorites include:
- Kwik Trip 10% back
- Lou’s Bootery: 10% back
- Gymboree: 13% back
There are literally hundreds of choices for stores, both online and brick-and-mortar stores, national retailers and many local stores participate, too. If your non-profit doesn’t have a list handy, you can always check the websites for some of the SCRIP companies like Great Lakes Scrip for a list of companies and what percentage they donate.
The hardest part is remembering to order and get started so you have your gift cards set aside BEFORE you need them. Depending on the gift card you want, there may be a few days lag time because the non-profit has to order them for you, but they do have many popular ones in stock, too. If you have a budget of $400 for groceries for the month, buy $400 worth of SCRIP to the grocery stores that you frequent. When those gift cards are used up, you’re done shopping for the month. And your non-profit of choice earns a little back, too!